Thursday

Fun Times at Woodbine Racetrack!

Handicapping Seminar at Woodbine Racetrack.

I've recently taken interest in horse racing in the last couple of years, and I would like to share everything I have learned so far. This past week I had the opportunity to attend a Handicapping Seminar at Woodbine Racetrack. For those of you that are new to horse racing, "Handicapping is defined as the practice of assigning advantage through scoring compensation or other advantage given to different contestants to equalize the chances of winning."



I have little experience in handicapping but listening to experts Ron Gierkink & Alex Campbell talk about different terms used in handicapping; it went over my head! It was quite overwhelming yet interesting at the same time to see & listen to the many variables for an outcome of a horse race. There is so much to factor if a horse will finish well in a race. Some contributing factors include things like if a horse is well rested between races, the conditions of track, if a horse sweats, who the jockey is and their trainers, the pedigree of the horse... so many more other factors not mentioned.  It's quite the task to factor all this when making a wager.

With the lack of handicapping experience, I can only hope over time that I will begin to understand the many aspects and become familiar enough to wager confidently. In the meantime, I really enjoy the simplicity of wagering & the experience at the track overall. I find myself leaning on betting on the most interesting name on the racing program or by picking by choosing colours. There's no science behind my wagers thus far but that's all a part of the fun! In a future blog post I'll explain some basic wagers and tips! There is also an exhilarating feeling for just cheering for your horse at the finish line! You have to experience it in person.



So if you are new to horse racing, I encourage you to experience something new! Jump out of your comfort zone and try something different. Bring your friends for an afternoon or evening of entertainment at Woodbine Racetrack. The wagering is minimal with wagers starting as low as 20 cents to $1. So you can really get a bang for you buck! This is a great way to experience a Girls or Guys Night. I'm already making plans to hang with my friends and family this year at North American CupQueen's Plate.

Perfect for a Girls/Guys Night Out!
Disclaimer: This post was created in partnership with Woodbine Racetrack and all opinions are my own.


No comments: